Using data from 2014, the PPD has put together a list of the most dangerous intersections in Pueblo.
Kathleen Krager, the traffic engineering division manager for the city of Colorado Springs says the information gained from compiling the list is used to identify areas where city traffic engineers can implement modifications to improve driver safety. What concerns her most is the areas that make the list that don’t have a very high traffic volume.
Most of the areas that made the list, however, did not surprise Krager. Several of the intersections that made this list, also made the list of busiest intersections. Many of them, too, involve highway or interstate exchanges. Krager wants drivers to know that this doesn’t mean highways and interstates are intrinsically more dangerous, just that navigating them requires an added level of caution.
The Pueblo intersections with the greatest number of accidents include:
- Highway 50 / Elizabeth Street – 49 accidents
- I-25 exit 101 / HWY 47 – 40 accidents
- HWY 47 / Cesar Chavez (University Blvd) and Dillon Drive – 34 accidents
- HWY 50A and Fortino Blvd / Morris Avenue – 31 accidents
- Northern Avenue and Prairie Avenue – 29 accidents
- HWY 45 / Pueblo Blvd and Northern Avenue (HWY 78) – 24 accidents
- I-25 exit 100B 29th Street / West 29th Street – 20 accidents
- HWY 47 / Jerry Murphy Road – 18 accidents
- HWY 50B / Bonforte Blvd and Hudson Avenue – 18 accidents
- HWY 50A / Club Manor Drive – 16 accidents
- HWY 45 Pueblo Blvd and HWY 96 Thatcher Avenue – 15 accidents
- I-25 exit 102 Eagleridge and Eagleridge Blvd – 15 accidents
- HWY 50A and Outlook Blvd – 15 accidents
Drivers who must frequent these intersections say some of them are congested, scary, and confusing. In fact, some drivers say they try to avoid certain intersections when they can. Krager wants drivers to know there’s no need to avoid these areas- the greater number of accidents has more to do with the higher volume of traffic and not because the intersections themselves are dangerous.
Instead, she warns motorists to slow down while traveling through them. The most serious accidents occur when there is a large disparity between the slowest drivers and the fastest drivers, she notes. By slowing down and observing the posted speed limit, motorists could avoid many serious accidents.
Further Reading: Falling Poses a Serious Danger for the Elderly
Contact Our Pueblo Car Accident Lawyers NOW!
If you or a loved one has sustained injury after a car accident in Pueblo, then you may have a legal right to file a claim and collect compensation for your injuries. The negligent driver has a legal responsibility to pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and more. Unfortunately, without an experienced Pueblo car accident lawyer on your side, you may not obtain the money you need to fully recover. Call Pueblo attorneys at Smith & Smith, today for a FREE CONSULTATION – (719) 544-0062.